Friday, June 18, 2010

Shrek 4: Dying with Dignity

I can't say that this Shrek film wasn't enjoyable (especially in light of the opportunity I was given to draw comparisons between my boyfriend and Shrek...Really, honey, it's not my fault your head is shaped that way...I love you anyway!)

The film is fast paced and contains enough humor of varying levels to satisfy audiences both young and old. However, the Shrek franchise is suffering from the all-too-common practice of running a good film into the ground. Why can't a film just be A GOOD FILM?? Why does it need to spawn 50,000 sequels of subsequent lesser value? Well, my friends, that would have something to do with money. If Shrek  made money, let's make 3 more Shrek films and make MORE money! To hell with the idea of actually doing something fun and original.

This movie operates under a cliched "It's a Wonderful Life" type plot. Shrek, disgruntled with family life, makes an ill advised deal to be free of it....and spends the rest of the movie trying to deal with the consequences and trying to set right the chaos he induced.

The movie has plenty of humorous moments....but overall, just lacks the originality and pizazz of the first movie or even the second. Donkey isn't given nearly enough lines, and the characters are stale at this point. I have to admit to enjoying an obese Puss though....reminds me of my co-blogger, Diva-the-Alternative-Lifestyle-Kitty who sits in my lap assisting me and dreaming of the days when he could lick his nether regions without pulling a muscle.

If you've got kids just dying to go see this one, go ahead...or if you're bored and can catch a manatee....err, matinee rather. I wouldn't personally advise seeing it in theaters otherwise. (And on a side note, if you actually can catch a manatee, you've probably got better things to do with your time than reading my blog, lol....)The 3d isn't put to particularly spectacular affect, and you won't be missing much if you wait for the DVD release.

No comments:

Post a Comment